Preamble of Constitution of India
- WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly
- Resolved to constitute India into a one
- SOCIALIST SECULAR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC] and
- To secure to all its citizens:
- JUSTICE, social, economic and political;
- LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship;
- EQUALITY of status and of opportunity;
- and to promote among them all FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual
- and the 2 [unity and integrity of the Nation];
- IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty-sixth
- day of November, 1949, do HEREBY ADOPT,
- ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.
1)Subs. by the Constitution (Forty-second Amendment) Act, 1976, section. 2, for “SOVEREIGN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC” (w.e.f. 3-1-1977).
2)Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for “unity of the Nation” (w.e.f. 03-01-1977).